Hard water is defined as a kind of water source that’s not really too clean for drinking. But how are you going to live with this kind of water source if you have children or elderly in the house? Surely, you may want to invest in a water filter, not just for drinking, but also for everyday use, such as for washing clothes and bathing.
One kind of water filter is used for showers. When you shower, you need to make yourself as clean as possible to get rid of germs that may cause sicknesses. Therefore, it pays to filter your hard water source (if it’s hard water) so that the likelihood of bacteria will not be present.
Do shower filters work for hard water?
- 1 Best Shower Head Filter For Hard Water
- 1.1 Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head
- 1.2 AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage Shower Filter
- 1.3 Barclay’s Buys Better Home Goods Filtered Shower Head
- 1.4 AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter
- 1.5 Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
- 1.6 AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head Set
- 1.7 Berkey Shower Filter
- 1.8 Eco Shower Filter with 2 Cartridges
- 1.9 Beastron Multi-Stage High Output Universal Shower Filter
- 2 Conclusion
Yes! A shower filter can have any of the following technologies when it comes down to filtering:
- Carbon filters – these are the kinds of filters that are very common, not just with regular shower filters but also other water filters to make drinking water. They usually have multiple stages for sediments, for softening water and removing bacteria and toxins from your water source.
- Vitamin C filters – this one can help to remove sediment as well but it will be the best solution to remove chlorine from water. It’s not as reliable as a carbon filter but if chlorine is your main concern, this may be for you.
- KDF filters – these filters take out heavy metals due to its unique electrical-chemical charge. The KDF filter is usually made out of zinc and copper, and through some process, the harmful metals will be removed.
Different heavy metals that this kind of filter can remove include aluminum, iron, lead, arsenic, cadmium, mercury, hydrogen sulfide, and chlorinated hydrocarbons. It may also remove some bacteria and viruses, as well as chlorine.
Why you should need a shower head filter
There are many benefits to using a shower water filter system, which includes the following:
- It softens hard water. This is beneficial for your skin since hard water will be quite harmful to your skin and hair when you use it for showering or bathing.
- It takes out the chlorine in the water. Chlorine should not be in your shower water because it may strip off your body’s natural oils in your skin and hair.
- It removes bacteria and viruses. Since it filters out many contaminants from the outside world, a shower water filter may help to stop bacteria and viruses from getting in your body, and thus, may prevent skin diseases.
- It keeps harmful chemicals at bay. Residue from pharmaceuticals and factories may seep through your water source so it is important to keep it clean from such chemicals. Farm residue such as pesticides and herbicides are also included in this concern.
- It helps keep children healthier. Children are more prone to sickness and irritation if they get exposed to chemicals so it is important to have a good water source without the contaminants.
Best Shower Head Filter For Hard Water
Here are our top picks for the best shower head filter for hard water:
As a wall-mounted shower filter with a chrome finish, this one has a filter cartridge that keeps out bad odor, chlorine, and limescale with a lifespan of 10,000 gallons per filter change (equivalent to 6 months of usage). It has an EPA certification standard of 2 gallons per minute so it won’t be costly on your water bill.
You can install this filtered shower head on any 1/2-inch threaded shower arm without any tools needed. It also conforms to the ANSI standard 177 to make sure it is of quality design. There are a total of 5 spray settings to choose from in this filtered shower head.
Related post: Best Faucet Water Filter
This shower filter has a whopping 12-stage filter so it will get your hard water thoroughly filtered for a clean and safe shower water source. One of its stages include a sediment filter made of stainless steel mesh, and then another stage has a chlorine blocker using calcium sulfite.
The shower filter is easy to install and is also backed by activated carbon for removing chlorine and chemicals, a vitamin C filter for adding vitamin C to your water source, infrared balls for adding negative ions for added oxygen to your skin, and its micro-porous PP cotton that keeps away all the other smaller sediments.
Related post: Best Countertop Water Filter
Able to remove 80 to 90% of chlorine in your water source, this one has a total of 3 settings to choose from (rain, massage, and both), so you can pick the best one for your needs. The filter only needs to be replaced every 6 to 8 months depending on its usage and is not very expensive, unlike other brands’ filters.
If you have a lot of solids and chlorine in your water source, this may be a great choice for you due to its powerful filter. With a 2.5-GPM pressure, it can be ideal for showering to effectively rinse your shampoo and soap lathers. It is also backed by a 1-year warranty.
For those who are getting skin problems due to their unclean water or hard water source, this one is probably a good choice for you, since it cleans and removes chlorine, dirt, and other chemicals that may be present in your water. This will help to reduce itchiness and other skin problems that you may be having with your regular shower water.
It is easy to install within 2 minutes only, and despite its lack of stages compared to other brands, this one has thorough cleaning with its simple stages. It has a universal fit on most shower types, such as rain, combo, fixed, and handheld ones.
As a shower filter that has a showerhead that is easily adjustable, this one can be used for cramped spaces or those who want more flexibility while they are showering to get all of the body parts rinsed thoroughly. It removes VOCs, pesticides, heavy metals, chlorine, and the like from your water source.
Its water filter can last up to 10,000 gallons or 6 months of regular usage before you need to replace it. In fact, it is also easy to replace without any tools required – just twist the filter and it’s ready to go.
For those who want a luxurious design for their shower head but also want a clean water source, this filter combo may be for you. It combines vitamin C and E filters on its cartridge to help remove various contaminants and at the same time, freshen your water with beneficial elements. Included in its water filter are alkaline ceramic balls, calcium sulfite, KDF 55, and activated carbon.
It can be installed within 1 minute and there are no tools needed for it. You can set it up on any handheld, rainfall, or wall-mounted shower due to its flexibility. There are a total of 15 stages of water filtering for this shower head.
A good chlorine remover, this filter is ideal if you already have a shower head and you only want to install a filter. It can last for up to 20,000 gallons per filter replacement, which is ideal for heavy users and homes with many people.
There is also a backflush attachment with the filter for easy cleaning and to keep the clogging at bay. It is a good 1-year filter that may be the best for homes with chlorine hard water.
Its filter system includes calcium sulfate, KDF 55, coconut shell carbon, PP cotton, steel mesh, and the like – all of which work well to remove sediments, chlorine, and heavy metals from your water. The filter can last for 5,000 to 10,000 gallons of water (3 to 6 months) depending on your usage.
With a total of 10 stages, its body is made with chrome-plated ABS so it won’t easily break but it also won’t hinder your water pressure, allowing you to enjoy a strong shower without wasting a lot of water (and breaking the shower head).
As a shower filter with a chrome finish (good for homes with chrome fixtures), this one also has a lot of stages and filter media, such as KDF 55, calcium sulfite, ceramic balls, coconut shell carbon, PP, cotton, and much more. It is easy to install and is a universal shower head filter that requires no tools at all.
It also includes an instructional manual if you get lost in its setup. People with eczema or other skin problems may benefit from this shower filter due to its chlorine-removing properties.
As a whole, a shower head filter for hard water is a great investment if you live in a place with hard water. It not only helps to keep your water source healthy for the skin and body but it also keeps you away from illnesses and skin irritation that could be caused by unclean water.