Reverse osmosis, also known as RO, is a kind of water purifying and filtering system that is common in most homes that live with hard water as their source and they need cleaner water in the process. RO is the most used type of filtering system not just for homes but also for offices and businesses because of its thorough filtering capabilities.
Is reverse osmosis water better for you?
- 1 Best Reverse Osmosis System
- 1.1 APEC Top Tier Filter System
- 1.2 Whirlpool WHER25 Filtration System
- 1.3 iSpring RCC7AK-UV Deluxe System
- 1.4 Brondell RO Circle Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
- 1.5 Aquasana OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- 1.6 Global Water RO-505 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System
- 1.7 Home Master TMAFC-ERP Filter System
- 1.8 Express Water Alkaline Reverse Osmosis Filtration System
- 1.9 Reverse Osmosis Revolution Countertop Portable Universal System
- 2 Conclusion
That depends on whether you will benefit from its advantages or not, but generally, yes, reverse osmosis is ideal for you if you are:
- Camping or on the road – RO can help you clean any kind of water source you pick up for your camping or RV. For instance, if you need water and you only need to get it from spring water or some other source, it can help if you have a handy filter to help you keep safe from various contaminants that may be hindering your health while you are on the road or while camping. After all, diarrhea is the worst when you’re traveling and far away from home.
- Live in an area with water issues – do you live in a community with hard water or water shortage? An RO is a good investment for you, especially if the water issues don’t really subside.
- You live near a farm – pesticides and herbicides may leak into your tap water so it is important to filter those out to avoid ruining your overall health, especially if you have kids around.
- Factories are nearby – we all know that factories can spit out toxic waste, and we don’t know where they go since not all factories have the same procedures of disposing of them. It is important, therefore, to have your water cleaned from extra contaminants that may come from those factories and industrial places if you live near them.
Why you need a reverse osmosis system
Here are the different reasons why you may need a reverse osmosis system:
- Remove heavy metals. This includes lead, arsenic, fluoride, selenium, chromium, nitrates, nitrites, copper, barium, and others.
- Reduce sodium content. Too much sodium may lead to health problems so it must be removed from your water source (or at least reduced).
- Save up on bottled waters and help the environment. Bottled waters not only cost you more $$$ but it can also impact the environment’s plastic waste.
- Help your food taste better. A clean water source also tastes good because it doesn’t have those heavy metals and the likelihood of bacteria that may cause stomach problems.
Best Reverse Osmosis System
Here are some of our picks for the best reverse osmosis system:
As an RO system, this one has a total of 6 stages to filter out various viruses, bacteria, cysts, harmful chemicals, and the like. It works from 40 to 85 PSI on its water pressure so it can be used for regular household tap water fixtures.
Unlike other RO systems, this one adds alkaline to the filtered water and it also adds calcium and other beneficial minerals to the body while removing the heavy metals. This is to make sure that your drinking water is still healthy. Its parts are all FDA-approved and quality made to avoid seal leaks.
Double carbon blocks are used for filtering your drinking water. The installation process is quite easy and most folks at home can do it. The whole unit is backed by a 2-year extended manufacturer warranty with registration.
Whirlpool is a trusted brand of kitchen appliances as well as household ones such as washing machines. It’s no surprise that they also have an RO system that you can use to help save you extra costs on bottled water. It uses a 3-stage filtering system that does the same kind of job as other higher filter systems.
It uses Ultra Ease technology to make filter changes a breeze and there is also an EZ Change Indicator Light to avoid the hassle of having to look inside the unit to check if the filter needs to go. The filter is able to remove or reduce chlorine, lead, sediment, dissolved solids, microbial cysts, and harmful chemicals from your water.
Each filter life is about 6 months for the pre-filter and post-filter while the membrane of the RO system can last up to 2 years before replacing.
Related post: Best Water Test Kit
This RO system fits on under-sink configurations so it is an ideal choice for homes who don’t have the luxury of free space on their kitchen countertop or near their sink. Able to filter out up to 1,000 contaminants, which includes lead, arsenic, chlorine, fluoride, and other sediments, this one has a total of 7 stages of filtration.
Included in its system is a UV lamp which is a germicidal lamp that kills bacteria and viruses that may be present in your water source. The RO system has a feed water pressure of 45 to 70 PSI so it may work on most homes.
It can adjust the water’s pH levels from pH 3.0 to 11.0 so you can maintain a less acidic drinking water source. This is done with the help of the included Alkaline Remineralization filter.
Related post: Best Faucet Water Filter
Using its water-saving smart technology, it doesn’t waste a lot of water as compared to traditional RO systems, making it ideal for those who want to try RO but don’t want to worry about the excessive wastewater produced. Its non-electric design makes the filters a breeze to change overall with a simple twist.
The unit is certified by the NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, 58, and 372 as well as the WQA Gold Certification for safety as a four-stage reverse osmosis filtration unit. Certification is important for a unit to be reputable in quality.
You don’t have to worry about knowing when to change the filter due to its integrated LED filter change indicator that can help you save time and effort. Its design is also not very roomy so it’s good for kitchens with no luxury of space, as it can also be an under-sink filter.
Made with faucet fixture (with 3 choices for the finish: chrome metal, oil-rubbed bronze, and brushed nickel), this complete set is good for homes who want a fixed RO system. It can reduce contaminants in your water such as lead, mercury, asbestos, and the like and it is also capable of adding calcium and potassium to your water source after it has been filtered.
It adheres to the NSF 42, 53, 58, and 401 + P473 standards as a lead-free RO system in its tank, parts, and faucet. The replacement of filters is quite simple with the twist mechanism for the Carbon and Claryum filter housings.
As a 5-stage RO system, this one is complete with all of the tools that you need for it, as well as replacement filters. It can remove chlorine, lead, arsenic, fluoride, VOCs, and even bacteria from your water source.
Its first stage uses a Polypropylene 5-micron Sediment filter, while the second stage uses a 10-inch GAC coconut shell activated carbon filter. Its third stage has a coconut shell block carbon filter for purifying the odor and taste of the water, while the RO membrane is present on the fourth stage. The final stage is for polishing the rough odor or taste using the inline filter.
Made with an under-sink design, this one is also good for homes with less space on their kitchen countertop. To reduce wastewater, it uses a non-electric permeate pump. Its filter lifespan is up to 2,000 gallons or every 1 year. No tools are required to change the filter.
It comes with its storage tank, a chrome RO faucet, a 3/8-inch feed-water adapter that has a shut-off valve, a drain saddle, and other accessories. The unit is backed by a 5-year limited warranty.
With a total of 10 stages, this water filter system is good at mineralizing and balancing the pH level of your water as well, despite being an RO system that removes heavy metals. It uses an RO membrane for removing contaminants and an alkaline filter to keep your water non-acidic and safe for drinking. This is ideal for people with sensitive tummies.
It also uses an activated carbon filter as well as a sediment filter to remove turbidity from your water source. It fits well on under sink pipes 1/2″ and 3/8″.
As a 5-stage RO system, this one has a post-filter as well as a high-quality RO membrane that has a rating of 75 GPD. It is easily compatible on most kitchens with either male or female spout types and it already comes with its 2-way diverter that has a chrome finish for easy installation.
It has a capacity of 75 to 100 gallons a day and its sediment filter and coconut activated carbon filters work well on the first and second stage. Many customers said it was easy to install and works great for most countertop setups.
As a whole, RO systems are definitely helpful if your water problem is very crucial, such as if you live in a remote area. Having filtered water with a powerful RO system can help solve this problem so that you can enjoy quality water that’s accessible all the time.