Rice is no doubt the largest staple food in the world. The most commonly used rice is white rice. However, things are slowly changing with researchers recommending brown rice more, owing to its high nutritional value. White rice has been found not to be as healthy and nutritional as most people thought.
Brown rice contains nutrients such as calcium, manganese and some natural occurring oils which help your body to normalize cholesterol levels. It also very useful for people on a mission to lose some weight or for those who are suffering from diabetes.
Most people have therefore resulted to eating brown rice which in itself, creates a problem as brown rice has a different style of preparation and cooking and most people own the normal white rice cookers.
Cooking brown rice requires cookers with a dedicated setting for brown rice cooking. Finding the perfect brown rice cooker can be quite daunting but in this article, you will find a review of the top brown rice cookers to help you get just the best there is!
Our best brown rice cooker that we highly recommend is the Aroma Housewares ARC-6106. It is an inexpensive cooker that you can use to cook both your brown rice and white rice in case you are not ready to let go yet, of that white rice. This is a one of a kind cooker which will give you that fluffy and soft rice with little or no effort.
- The inner pot has a nice beautiful non-stick coating which is usually thicker than other rice cookware sets
- The inner wall of the Aroma Housewares ARC-6106 pot has markings and good numberings which are easy to read. The markings are also really well stripped which makes this set stands out from other rice cooker sets with markings which are poorly embossed making it hard to read.
- With this cooker, you can easily prepare up to 12 cups of brown rice at a go without breaking any sweat.
- It utilizes the ‘STS‘ technology meaning Sauté and Simmer technology. What this means is that you can now sauté your food when using high temperatures and the moment you add water to the food, the cooker will detect this change and starts simmering the food.
- The Aroma Housewares cooker has intuitive and easy to use digital controls. It, for example, has three buttons: White rice, brown rice and quick rice which clearly showcases its versatility.
- The quick rice function easily adapts to the cups of brown rice you are making. This function comes in handy when you are in quite some hurry and need the rice in a short time.
- It has a variety of cooking options and styles, for instance: steam, porridge, soup, cake, slow cook and oatmeal. In case you are not happy with the automated cooking options, you could manually adjust the cooking times of these options.
- With this cooker, you could possibly steam your vegetables and meat and at the same time cook your brown rice below.
- It is easy to clean
- The Aroma Housewares ARC-6106 is also dishwasher safe
- It is quite expensive
The Breville BRC600XL Rice Cooker has all you would ask for in a rice cooker. It has a sleek and appealing design with a multifunctional capability meaning you can cook, not just brown rice, but a variety of meals with this cooker. Have I also mentioned that using this cooker is as easy as the push/touch of a button?
- The first thing you will note with the Breville BRC600XL Rice Cooker is that it has advanced multi-cooker options that you can use to prepare your brown rice, risotto and other meals.
- The top lid is made up of tempered glass which makes it easier in case you would want to see what is cooking.
- The inner pot of this cooker is made of aluminium and with a non-stick technology which makes it easier not only when cooking but also when cleaning the cooker.
- Has two handles on the sides that make it easier to move the cooker from one spot to another.
- This cooker comes with a very specific manual which gives you detailed instructions on how to cook your rice, risotto and other meals
- It has an ergonomic and easy to use control panel which is located on a protruding on the bottom of the cooker.
- It has a modern and beautiful look which adds a good aesthetic aspect to your kitchen
- The buttons and controls are easy to use
- It has a variety of cooking options which are great as you can leverage this cooker to cook different dishes
- It is an inexpensive cooker as compared to other rice cookers
- This rice cooker has no timer
If you looking for the ultimate brown rice cooker, you will probably have to stop at the Zojirushi NS-YAC18 Micom Rice Cooker. This cooker has been developed by the Zojirushi Company in Japan which has been in the rice cooker business for nearly the last half-decade. It is a company that has continuously led in the innovation and development of rice cookers. The Zojirushi NS-YAC18 Micom Rice Cooker is a great product that will leave your taste buds intrigued
- One thing that sets apart Zojirushi NS-YAC18 Micom rice cooker from other rice cookers is its Imami feature which leaves your rice with a nice exclusive and delicious taste.
Umami is a Japanese word that means ‘delicious taste’. It is an additional taste to the four basic ones which are sweet, bitter, sour, and salty and is referred to as the fifth dimension or taste.
The Zojirushi NS-YAC18 Micom rice cooker soaks the rice and steams it longer than usual in order to get that distinct savoury taste(Umami).
- Gaba brown rice setting
There is also a special setting in the Zojirushi rice cooker that activates the gamma-aminobutyric acid(GABA) which is a naturally occurring nutrient in brown rice. The cooker takes some time to activate the nutrient but when done, the GABA levels increase significantly. This nutrient is well known for relieving stress and also for lowering blood pressure.
- It has a slow cooker function that you can use to cook soups and other meals.
- It has a nice LCD screen, a timer and easy to use controls.
- The Zojirushi NS-YAC18 Micom Rice Cooker boosts the nutritional value of your brown rice especially when the Gaba brown rice setting is activated helping you and your family to lead a healthier life.
- Adds a deep savoury flavor to your rice which will leave you and your family wanting some more rice
- It is an expensive cooker when compared to other premium cookers. However, you will not be disappointed as you will get what you pay for.
- It takes longer than other brown rice cookers to cook rice.
- It has no option for you to choose the rice texture when cooking(either soft or hard)
Cuisinart is one of the top brands when it comes to developing cookware and its products certainly do not disappoint. The Cuisinart Stainless-steel CRC-400 is a versatile rice cooker with a modern look and a very distinct square shape.
- This cooker has two nice LED lights with one illuminating when the rice is cooking and the other one illuminating when the cooker automatically switches to warming after it finishes cooking.
- It has chrome-plated handles on its sides which help in case you would want to move your cooker around your kitchen.
- The Cuisinart Stainless Steel CRC-400 Rice Cooker comes with a calibrated measuring rice cup, a paddle that you could to stir or serve and a booklet with lots of amazing recipes.
- The cooker has a tempered glass lid which you can see through and watch as your brown rice cooks
- This cooker switches to warming the rice automatically, when it is done with the cooking
- It has a nice stainless-steel basket that you could use to steam your vegetables or shrimp when cooking your rice.
- It is easy to clean
- It has a retractable power cord that keeps your kitchen counter nice and tidy.
- Collects a lot of hot condensed water on its lid when cooking which might burn you removing the lid.
This is a nice simple rice cooker that you can use to quickly cook your brown rice. It has a nice polished stainless-steel with a black lid and a capacity of 10 cups uncooked brown rice.
- It contains a smart panel that re-adjusts itself each and every time in order to cook the best brown rice.
- It has a variety of programmable cooking options that you can use to cook white rice, breakfast or even soup.
- The inner pot of the Oster 3071 Smart Digital Rice Cooker is made up of aluminium and uses non-stick technology which is great when it comes to cleaning.
- It is cheap compared to other brown rice cookers.
- Produces very little steam when it is cooking brown rice.
- The cooker comes with a user manual which contains useful instructions and contains some recipes you can use to prepare your meals.
- It has been reported to take to add a little or no flavor to rice which might be frustrating especially if you are an avid cook/chef.
- Has a short power cord that might force you to use an extension cord in case the power source is far from the cooker.
- It has a poorly detailed user manual
The Panasonic SR-DF101 Microcomputer Rice Cooker is an interesting cooker that uses a nifty microcomputer technology geared to make the best brown rice without you even breaking a sweat.
- This cooker uses some advanced fuzzy technology, controlled by an inbuilt microprocessor which automatically controls and adjusts the power to be used and the duration of cooking for a more consistent and full proof brown rice cooking.
- The cooker automatically switches to the warm option when it finishes cooking the rice, keeping it at an ideal temperature for you as you go along with other activities.
- It has a pre-programmed easy to use control panel with options which you can use to also cook white rice, soup, porridge and a quick-cook feature that you can use when you are in a hurry.
- It comes with a steaming basket, a measuring cup and a rice scooping spoon
- The cooker is relatively small and does not take much space in your kitchen counter
- The domed lid of the cooker prevents the condensed water from finding its way back to the brown rice getting cooked.
- Has a detachable power cord that leaves your kitchen room timetable.
- It is not as durable as other cookers as most of its material is made of plastic
Brown rice, unlike white rice, has some hull and bran which are nutritious, but at the same time, the rice takes a little longer and a little more water to cook. Brown rice requires some more time to soak and steam, and so when choosing a brown rice cooker you should consider cookers with a dedicated brown rice setting and with clear instructions from the manual on how to prepare the best brown rice. You should also consider the capacity of the cookers, the ease with which to clean them and the cooking options that come with the cooker.
The bottom line is that a brown rice cooker can really change your life in the kitchen. You cannot make a mistake when shopping for one and with the reviews provided above, we hope you will find the best brown rice cooker. When you finally make a choice, do a few trials to find the best setting and combination of water and heat which will produce the best brown rice.