Do you find it tricky to smoke ribs? If so, are not alone, many don’t know where to insert a thermometer probe. Luckily, you can smoke ribs in an electric smoker. Here’s how.Get My List of Best Electric Smokers with Reviews
Choose the ribs
- The first question to ponder is whether or not to membrane the ribs. But you should be aware of the fact that the ribs won’t be as tended as they can be when the membrane is not removed. The shiny membrane, located on the bone side, is not difficult to remove.
- To remove the membrane, use a sharp paring knife and begin at one end. Make short cuts by sliding the paring knife under the membrane. While doing so, make sure that you lift the membrane from the bones.
- Do not cut the rib meat. You will get used to the trick after short practice.
Apply the Rub
- Prepare the port ribs the night before smoking them. This will allow the rub to work well on the rib meat. You apply the rub in order to add flavour to it.
- Before you apply the rub, dip the ribs in mustard or olive oil in order to make the rub stick and form a great crust. You might also want to marinate or boil the ribs. If you don’t want mustard flavour, don’t worry because you don’t actually notice it when eating.
Smoke the spare ribs
Actually, there are many ways of cooking and you can experiment with each of them. Here are some methods that you can try:
- It is advisable that you take out the spare ribs from the refrigerator 45 minutes before cooking them in order to maintain room temperature. It is not a good idea if you place a cold rack or ribs on the cooking pit. You will spend a long time to smoke them.
- To smoke spare ribs like a pro, mix a ¾ apple cider vinegar and ¼ cooking oil in spray bottle. Adding vinegar to your spare ribs makes it much tendererand at the same time gives additional layer of flavour.
- Shake the spray bottle. After that, spray the spare ribs down every forty five minutes and so.
- Smoke the ribs at a temperature of 225 degrees for about an hour for every pound. However, make sure not to smoke the beer rib for more than six hours.
- For 4.5 hours, smoke rack of5-pound spare ribs, use mop mixture to spray onto it and cover it with foil for more than an hour. By doing this smoking method, you would be able to come up with a render rack of beef ribs. Since they are wrapped in foil, do not expect that your meat is crispy on the outside.
- If you prefer to apply a Barbeque sauce for the last 30 minutes, you have to take a closer look on the ribs. Do take note that BBQ sauce has tomatoes and sugar that burn quickly.
Smoking your ribs like a pro
- In smoking spare ribs, the rule of thumb is to keep the smoker to 225- 250 degrees F though 225 is said to be the best. You will know the ribs are cooked when the internal temperature is 175-180 degrees F.
- While bone side up, put down the spare ribs on the smoker. You might want to use a mop sauce without sugar and tomatoes to avoid burn. While it is a great idea to apply a finishing sauce for the last 30-40 minutes, turn the spare beef ribs over in such a way that one side is applied with sauce.
- The best way to know if the spare ribs are already one is when the rib meat retracts and reveals the edge of the bones by about half an inch, and when the rib section can be easily torn apart easily. When you have a grab of the rib bones and it retracts from the meat, the ribs are pretty done.
- Remember that there is no single way to smoke spare ribs in electric smoker. So just keep on experimenting with each, practice and you will soon discover how pro secretly produces the best smoked spare ribs.
To serve, cut the middle part of each strip between the rib bones. It is better if you slice the rib bone side up for you to easily it.
Smoking spare ribs is not hard at all. So are you now ready to smoke spare ribs in an electric smoker?Get My List of Best Electric Smokers with Reviews