- 1 Introduction
- 2 Our Product Reviews – Best Blender for Crushing Ice in 2018
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Crushing ice is an important step in making frozen drinks, such as shakes, smoothies and the like. However, not all blenders are capable of doing so. Some have substandard blades and pitcher jars, so they may not be ideal for crushing ice.
This is why you should not assume that all blenders have the capability to crush ice. Such blenders have more durable blades and have shock resistance on the pitcher so that it will be able to crush ice better than regular blenders. They also have more wattage dedicated to ice crushing, making them more powerful than the rest.
Our Product Reviews – Best Blender for Crushing Ice in 2018
Here are some of the best blenders for crushing ice that we could find in the market:
Ninja Master QB1004
The Ninja Master QB1004 is a good choice for those who like to make smoothies and blended drinks. It has a total of 3 containers in one unit – comprised of a pitcher for smoothies at 48 ounces, a bowl for food processing at 40 ounces, and a chopper bowl at 156 ounces. Most of everything you see here are dishwasher safe to make it easier for you to clean up.
The design is quite versatile because you can switch between the containers in seconds so that you can be able to produce different drinks and blended food items. It can easily crush ice in the blender part so that you can make shakes and smoothies with great ease. It also handles a variety of food items, including fruits like berries and vegetables like broccoli. You can even make sauces out of it.
Oster Reverse Crush
If you are a fan of Oster blenders, a good choice from their lineup would be the Oster Reverse Crush. It has a total of 600 blending watts so it is quite powerful at crushing ice and can prevent jam-ups due to the design of the blades on the blender. To help you measure your current shake or smoothie content, you can use the built-in markings on the pitcher.
Because it uses the reversing technology, the blades forward and backward to help your smoothies to become smooth in consistency. The jar is dishwasher safe so that you can easily clean it up in a breeze – perfect for when you have a fruit stand with smoothies. All blades are made of quality stainless steel that can last for many years with proper cleaning It is backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
Oster BLSTMB-CBG-000 Pro
The Oster BLSTMB-CBG-000 Pro can be a good choice if you want many speeds to choose from for your smoothie making and ice crushing business (or home use). It has a total of 7 speeds to choose from and also 3 presets so that you can mix your fruit creations much easier than before. The jar can keep up with thermal shock due to being made with Boroclass material for the glass.
You don’t have to worry about crushing ice because it packs 900 watts of ice crushing power out of its total power of 1,200 watts. The blade is quite wide at 3.5 inches each so that you can crush ice easily. A smoothie cup for travel use is included (24 ounces capacity). This unit has a 16-inch long power cord and is BPA-free for most of its parts. The unit is also backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
Oster 6811 6-Cup
If you want to be able to produce a ton of juice, smoothies or shakes in one go, the Oster 6811 6-Cup has a big capacity that you may enjoy, going for up to 6 cups in one go. With this unit, there are also built in markings to help you determine how much ice or content you have in the jar. There are a total of 12 speeds in this unit so that you can choose according to the fruit shake or recipe that you want.
There are also settings for pureeing and for a pulse. As for the ice crushing capability, you won’t have to worry about breakage due to the 4-point design, which is better than the 3-point design of other brands out there. Its total power is at 700 power watts, where 450 watts is reserved for chopping the ice in your container. It is also backed by a 10-year limited warranty, like other Oster units.
Ninja Professional Blender (NJ600)
The Ninja Professional Blender (NJ600) is a good companion should you want to establish a fruit shake stand or smoothie counter as a business. This unit is dishwasher safe for most of its parts, starting from the pitcher, lid and to the blades. You can create powdery snow in seconds due to the crushing power of the blades and the motor itself, ranging up to 1,000 watts of power. It has a total of 3 speeds and a pulse function as well.
Also, because it is made with a 6-blade technology, you can crush ice effortlessly as compared to those with blades that have smaller amounts and sizes. The 72-ounce pitcher can help you to fill up more cups in one go so that you can serve your customers quickly and earn money easily. All parts coming in contact with your fruit shakes are BPA-free, and the unit is also backed by a 1-year warranty.
Ninja Kitchen System Pulse (BL201)
Another great contended from the Ninja company would be the Ninja Kitchen System Pulse (BL201), which packs 550 watts of power, so it is mostly intended for home use for ice crushing. You can easily create creamy smoothies due to the good power it possesses and you have also the option to make cookie and pizza dough due to the food processor abilities of this blender. There is also a dough hook and paddle to do this dough mixing job well.
The processing bowl is at 40 ounces in capacity so you can definitely crush more ice in one go. It uses pulse technology for setting the speeds so you can crush ice at your own pace. The 2 included to-go cups are at 16 ounces each so you can take your fresh fruit shake or smoothie on the go without spillage and at a good amount. It also has a warranty of 1 year.
Breville BBL910XL Boss
The Breville BBL910XL Boss is a more user-friendly way of crushing ice and your fruits, veggies and other food items into ice cold shakes. You can use it to make your favorite smoothies from fruits, especially if you prefer a green smoothie. It can also be used for certainly frozen desserts in a breeze. Due to the backlit LCD display, you don’t have to fumble around with the controls on the settings.
The crushing power of the unit is thanks to the ProKinetix blade and bowl system, which evenly crushes anything you put into it – including ice. There is also a timer function so that you can easily work on other things while your shakes and smoothies are working their way to smoothness. The stainless steel blades also have an automatic cleaning function to save you time and effort on the go.
KitchenAid KHB2561CU 5-Speed
If you have a penchant for a blender that comes with a ton of accessories, the KitchenAid KHB2561CU 5-Speed is a good choice for you. It has a whisk attachment so that you can also potentially use it for egg whites and other baking goods. It is also applicable for deeper pots due to the arm being adjustable and lockable. Its pitcher is BPA-free and has a capacity of 1 liter, while its chopper attachment has the capacity of 2 ½ cups.
You can work on other things in this 5-speed unit aside from smoothies, such as vinaigrettes, sauces, cream, herbs, soups, purees and the like. It comes with a storage case, has a variety of colors to choose from and even has a pan guard to keep your kitchen operation mess-free. Aside from crushing ice, you can also find this useful for immersion blending or even chopping nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions that you may find interesting for looking for blenders for crushing ice.
What to Look for in an Ice-Crushing Blender
To look for a good ice crushing blender, you need to look into the following criteria first:
|Number of blades||The blades should have a good amount of number on the device.
A blade set of about 4 to 6 in one go is better because it packs more power to crush your ice. It may be more costly, but if you want power then you should definitely consider a system with more blades.
|The durability of the blades||You should consider a high-grade set of blades. While all are made from stainless steel anyway, they should be of quality grade.
In this way, the blades will not easily get corrosion when you use them repeatedly, and will not make the shake or smoothie smell and taste bad.
|Motor power||A good motor power is one that is around 400 to 700 watts of crushing power.
This crushing power is separate from the actual total power of the blender for crushing ice, which can be around 700 to 1,200 watts in total. It needs to have a higher dedicated wattage or power for crushing ice to be an effective blender for the job.
|The durability of the glass material||Let’s not leave out the glass – it is also greatly important to have a glass jar that will not easily get crushed by the blades and the ice.
It should be a quality jar that can withstand shock and impact as you are crushing ice on the blender. Boroclass glass jars are preferred by many people who like to make crushed ice on a blender.
How to Crush Ice in a Blender
Many people don’t know how to crush ice in a blender, so here is a step-by-step procedure:
- Know your blender – make sure that your blender is definitely okay for crushing ice. Not all blenders are capable of doing so, roughly because some are made with the thin plastic material. This plastic material may not be that suitable for crushing ice cubes, and this is why they are not recommended for such a feat. Know from the manufacturer first if it is okay for crushing ice to avoid wasting your money, time and effort in the long run.
- Setting up the blender – make sure you read the user’s instructions first on how to set up the blender first. Know which parts go where and which parts should be taken into consideration first. Make sure that all of the parts are connected firmly to avoid any kind of injury or hassle in the kitchen that can create a mess that can be hard to clean up.
- Grabbing the ice – prepare your ice by pulling out of the freezer. Your ice should come in ice cubes so that it will be easier to process, otherwise, you might break your blender. Remember that blenders are not Samurai swords – they can’t easily crush ice if they are in big chunks, so make sure that the ice that you have can easily fit into the jar, and are cut into cubes.
- Let the ice rest – while this sounds like an irrational thing, letting the ice rest for a while is actually pretty good so that your ice will not be too hard to crush for the blender. Don’t make your blender suffer too much by putting the ice straight from the freezer right away – instead, just let it melt a bit (but don’t over-melt it!) so that your blender can last longer in its crushing power and motor.
- Fill up the pitcher – a good ratio would be 1/3 of the total size of the pitcher or jar. This is so that you can have more space for the fruit or whatever you put into the blender as an ingredient (e.g. if you like carrot shakes then put carrots on it). Do not fill up the pitcher too much because this can make the water spill out of the pitcher when some of the ice melts.
- Turn on the blender – crush and chop the ice in a medium speed for about 30 seconds or so. Hold on to the lid while you are crushing to avoid accidents in the kitchen. Make sure that the lid is secure and the blender is working properly.
- Store the finished product – when you are done, dump the crushed ice or smoothie in a place that’s cold, such as an ice bucket. Put it in the freezer right away if you are not going to use it yet.
How to Crush Ice Without a Blender
A good way to crush ice without a blender is through manual means, using the following steps:
- Get yourself a Lewis bag – which is basically a canvas cloth bag. You can also use any other small canvas cloth bag if you have one.
- Grab your ice cubes or ice chunks, but make sure that they fit well into the cloth bag.
- Fill up the bag with about ½ of the ice cubes or chunks.
- Grab a kitchen hammer or mallet and position the cloth bag on a flat surface, such as a table or countertop. Start crushing the ice manually using the hammer. Be careful when doing this – kids and teens should ask for an adult’s help for safety reasons.
- You’re now ready to use or store the crushed ice! Hooray!
Can all blenders crush ice?
Unfortunately, not all blenders are able to crush ice. This is because not all of them have durable jars and containers (pitchers) to handle ice, and not all of them have sturdy blades and powerful motors. Therefore, you have to choose your blender carefully if you want to crush ice on it.
Can you put ice cubes in a blender?
You should consult the user’s manual as to what kind of ice you should put in a blender. Moreover, you should know if the blender is capable of crushing ice. Not all blades of blenders are the same – some aren’t made of quality stainless steel and some aren’t made with durable jar material.
How many watts do you need in a blender to crush ice?
A good wattage for crushing ice should be around 400 to 700 watts or more. A higher wattage means that it can be better in crushing ice overall.
As a whole, we believe that the best blender for crushing ice depends on what you intend to use it for. If you want an ice crushing blender and a food processor at the same time, you should get a unit with that feature. If you’re a fruit shake or smoothie stand owner or seller, or if you own a business that requires a blender to crush ice, you can definitely pursue a blender for crushing ice that has more capacity than regular blenders do.
That concludes our review of the best blenders for crushing ice. We’d like to know in the comments below: which do you think is the best blender for crushing ice?